Saturday, November 13, 2010

my country.



As I skimmed through the article on Time Magazine with the headline "Muslim-Christian Tension Rising in Egypt", I can't help but to be reminded of the incident that happened some time earlier this year in my own country - the bombings of churches and mosque here in Malaysia following the court decision to allow non-Christians to use the word 'Allah'.
This, and a few other incidences such as the cow-head protest in Shah Alam were to say the least, alarming.

I never thought it would happen in my country. It got us so close to being like one of the other countries that we've so often heard of that had its people being angry and divided over the issue of religion (or race).

It is perfectly understandable that people want to stand up for their religion. But to disrespect other people's religion in this manner, that is a bit uncalled for, dont you think?

It's my wish for to never see Malaysia stooping so low again. For my country to never revisit the May 13, 1969 racial riot incident again. To have its leaders stop blaming each other over who said what of who's religion or race, when they should be addressing real issues such as helping the marginalised people (the gap between the rich and poor in Malaysia is not exactly small, if you know what I mean).

No comments:

Post a Comment